Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Joys of Working Retail

My background isn't in retail, so when I was thrown into a very customer service oriented retail job, I didn't know what to expect.

At first, I was shocked by the some of the rudeness that I encountered, and for a good month, I had to fight the anger inside of me.  Each time I would say hello and people who completely either ignore me or say to me "I'm just looking" or "You need to leave me alone".  Since when was saying hello a crime?  Over time, we changed our greeting tactics so that we get less of that kind of response, but it's still odd that in our society saying hello to a customer is viewed as a nuisance or a selling tactic.

I basically looked like this for the whole month of January and a little into February lol


But as the time went by, I started to not take things personally and I sort of feel sorry for people who are so miserable that they have to be rude to complete strangers.  It also helped that I've met some really awesome people working retail.  Some who have become friends and/or we keep in touch with on facebook.  It also helped with my shyness a bit and inability to speak to strangers.  I guess it's the combination of how I grew up.

Working retail is an emotional rollercoaster and only strong and stable people cope the best in this environment.  Now I'm not claiming I'm either, but you are more aware of human interactions and your own behaviors when you work in retail, and for that reason I've learned quite a bit over the last 5 months.

So next time you go into a shop, say hello back, we don't all bite ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment